10.12.2007

Inspired by Shannon

I recently sold my Canon 30D digital SLR because I am upgrading to the Canon 5D. The 30D is a wonderful camera and I had so much fun shooting with it. I have to upgrade because the 5D is so much better in low light and it shoots 35mm equivalent images. I have been waiting for the price to drop and BAM it happened just the other day. So 5D here I come.

I sold the 30D in a weird way. First I wasn't planning on selling it as quick as I did. I have some other things I need to sell and I still need to take pictures of them!! Oh well, it can wait until the 5D gets here. So to sell the 30D I went on to the OSP forums to see if there was a pro photographer looking to buy one. I always like dealing with pro's because they don't ask stupid questions and they know what they are looking for. I found such a lady and posted that I would sell my 30D for $800. She dilly-dallied for about a day. When I went check on the post the next day I had a PM from another photographer wanting to buy it ASAP. Great! I PMed back saying to call me or email me.

On the phone was a young woman full of energy and life. I could instantly tell that she needed this camera more than I did and she needed it fast because she had a wedding to shoot in three days. She called me at work and the camera was at home, she was on a budget and didn't want to ship it overnight, and she talked me down to $750. I think most people would of squashed the deal right there stating logistics and profit margin as the deal breakers, but not me. I saw this as a challenge.

I rushed home after discussing the details of the deal. I jammed the camera and a few accessories in a box, worked out the Paypal details, and drove it to FedEX. Bam! Done deal. I wanted to sell the 30D LAST of all the things I'm selling (more on this later). Something told me to sell it to this girl. Was it instant repore over the phone? Was it because we spoke the same language (camera)? Was it the time crunch challenge? I'm not sure.

I know my old trusty 30D is in good, no, great hands now. Shannon is a AWESOME photographer. I was reading her blog (reading is sexy) and the photos she posts are incredible. It's like she understands all the rules of photography on how to take good photos but she doesn't make it evident. Her photos are very interesting to look at. Even the type of photos that I normally would trash have an appealing style. Oh yeah and she has amazing style. From the way she dresses to her subjects to her shooting technique. Blows me away. I'm very glad that I met her and that she has a camera that I love in her hands. Check her out @ www.shannonleith.com Her blog is really cool and it has inspired me to start blogging again.

One last thing on Shannon. Through all our conversations I have noticed that she has a very positive outlook on things. This was the best part. I have been making a big effort in my life to fill my mind with positive thoughts and say positive things. I have this feeling that I attracted her to me, not in a dance club cologne sort of way, but in a law of attraction way. Or maybe it was just random chance, but wait would that be the same thing? Anyway, we have said some postive things to each other and it feels good. Just simple things like - Riley - "This 30D was my good luck charm" - Shannon - "I am glad to have the luck of Riley." This kind of stuff makes me smile and it is so easy to do once you get good at it.

There would normally be a picture of something relating to this post but I'm fresh out of cameras. I have some lenses but no cameras. lol

1 comment:

Shannon said...

oh, my, lanta. well, its true-- the camera changed my life. and i can't wait to see some sx70 shots on here, which will change my life even more :)